Zac Plantz Memorial Scholarship
The Zac Plantz Memorial Scholarship is awarded to incoming high school freshmen who embody the mission of the Zac Plantz Foundation and honor the spirit of Zac through their commitment to academic, spiritual, and social growth.
How To Apply
- The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to leadership, talent, and service. The scholarship will be presented to students who will positively contribute to their communities and show the potential to establish inspiring legacies of their own through their faith-based secondary education and extra-curricular involvement.
- All applicants for the 2023-2024 academic year must be an incoming freshman attending a Chicago-area Catholic high school.
- Applicants must fill out the online application form here: https://forms.gle/uSPveDfwwVJ7FqSR8
- Applications will be reviewed after the submission deadline and applicants will be notified upon application review of their award status (potentially up to a full 4-year scholarship).
- All applications must be submitted via the online form by Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
Instructions for Application Submittal – Zac Plantz Memorial Scholarship
- Access the online application at this link: https://forms.gle/uSPveDfwwVJ7FqSR8
- Include a copy of your most recent report card and responses to the prompts outlined below.
- Submit the online application form by Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
Please answer the following questions as outlined in the online application:
- Personal Statement: 1 page, double-spaced
- Upload your personal statement (needed to apply to many area high schools or scholarships). If you don’t already have a personal statement, please upload a response to the following questions instead: “Why do you want to go to this school? How will you make a difference here?”
- Short Answer Prompts: Please respond to all of the following prompts, up to a max of 200 words for each
- Which of your many talents are you most proud of? Please explain why you are proud of this talent.
- What are some of your goals and aspirations for the future – after high school? How will your high school experience support you on your path?
- Please list your involvement in activities during 6th-8th grades. (This could include visual arts, drama, music, community service, math, science, athletics, hobbies, awareness/advocacy, etc.) Which activity was your favorite and why?
- Essay: Please respond to one of the following prompts, up to a max of 300 words
- Part of the mission of the Zac Plantz Foundation is to “shepherd the odd man out.” What does this mean to you and how do you incorporate this into your daily life?
- The Zac Plantz Foundation was established to continue Zac’s legacy and celebrate his spirit. Tell us how you incorporate the pillars of our foundation—leadership, community, faith, passion, and fun—into your life.
Zachary “Zac” Plantz was a Frankfort, IL native graduating near the top of his class at Providence Catholic High School. He was an all-state football selection and went on to earn a degree and become a rugby stand-out at the University of Notre Dame. Zac’s career moves and commitments to his community were stepping-stones toward his ultimate life goal—to build a better city, a better country, and a better tomorrow for everyone he met along the way.